Saturday, October 26, 2013

"Other Half" by Anonymous

One sunny day,  I was walking home from school with my friends as I typically do. Summer was near and we were ready to go swimming. We were all very close, and we all stuck together. There was my best friend Tray, my friends Letoya and Layla, who were sisters, and my friends Ellyn, Karyn, Anush and Anita who were all also sisters, and many more. But those were my main friends. We always had a great time walking through the streets of Riverside.
We did many activities outside of school which include: movies, mall, parties , etc. We argued very little for there to be so many of us. But that was the good thing about us. We liked to have fun. We also lived very close to each other. There was never a dull moment with us. We were like a family. They all welcomed me with open arms, and I them.
Then came Kevin.
I met Kevin through mutual friends. He was tall, brown-skinned and looked older than his age. He was hilarious and very nice.
He and I clicked right away. I began to hang out more with him than I did my friends. He became my mornings and my nights. Still, I managed to have a little time for my friends, and my friends became accustomed to him as well. Soon he and I began to date. Those were the best days of my life.
When we dated, we rarely argued. I had more smiles than frowns with him. He was more than my boyfriend. He was also now my best friend. I shared all my secrets with him, and even though I didn't  feel loved in my living situation, I felt loved with him. He was always there for me.
He was my first for many things. Beware of my next sentence. September 9th of last year was my first and last abortion. I was pregnant at 15.
Our guardians agreed that Kevin and I were getting too serious, so I was forced to move back to Inglewood without knowing I was pregnant. I was so heart broken, I cried almost every night. I found out I was pregnant after two missed periods. My mother was not angry, but she did not want me to have the baby, so she put matters into her own hands and made the decision for me. I still cry about it . I murdered another half of me. When I killed my baby, I lost my dignity. But Kevin was there to go through it with me.
He was angry about it at first, but he got over it, and we stayed together for two years strong. Without me in Riverside, he began to get into a lot of trouble. Sometimes I blame myself, but there was nothing I could do.
Soon, he experienced a reality check and bettered himself. We both decided to work on ourselves because we began arguing a lot. Eventually, the distance tore us apart. Kevin wanted to work it out, but I just wanted friendship, so that’s what we did. We became really good friends. We are still really good friends today, and we talk about everything. But I will never forget about my abortion. It still affects me to this day. I’m sad it turned out like that. I should have been more cautious.

No comments:

Post a Comment